If you saw this picture on Facebook, you’ll know that we recently sanded the floors in our office. We’ve been talking about doing something with these floors for years, so it’s great to finally be started! We debated carpet, new wood, floor tiles, and ultimately decided to repaint. Painted floors in this 2nd floor room would have been original to our house, so it’s nice to stick with tradition. Plus paint is (relatively) cheap. We’ll get into all of the nitty gritty details about the whole floor repainting process in another post soon, but for now, let’s just talk about what our plans are for the space… the fun stuff!
It’s hard to tell in this picture since it was taken on a gloomy day, but this is the sunniest room in the house with big, south-facing windows. It’s so much fun to have a completely blank canvas of a room to start with. Ignore the paint samples on the wall, which have been there for like two years, when we were testing other ideas that never worked out. The only piece of furniture moving back in is our white Expedit bookshelf (which may also be getting a bit of a DIY treatment). And we have a new (to us) filing cabinet that Andy’s parents gave to us that will also be getting a DIY treatment before it moves in. Everything else we’re building or getting new. It’s very exciting… but clearly this room is not going to be finished super fast!
Here’s what we’re planning:
- The color scheme is white, wood and gold. No surprise there, especially if you saw my office space inspiration post recently. We want to keep the room really light and bright and make it a place where we can escape distraction.
- We’re painting the floor white. It’s currently a pale pink, which was one of the first projects we ever did in this house and on the blog, three weeks after moving in!! This was back before we knew to do research before starting a project, soooo we had no idea what we were doing.
- The walls are going white. Four years ago I said white-on-white isn’t for me. My how things have changed.
- We’re building a desk! This is probably my favorite part of the whole plan. We haven’t worked out all the details, but we’re thinking natural wood top, hairpin legs, a nice big work surface that we can both use.
- There’s a few quirky things we’ll need to work around, like that ridiculous electrical outlet in the middle of the wall straight ahead (whyyyy??), and various other annoying outlet placements around the room. And all those chords (our modem/router/etc.) will need to find a place to hide.
- There’s a couple of hooks in the ceiling so we might as well bring in some hanging plants with cute plant holders.
When we’re planning a big change to a room, I like to create a secret board on Pinterest where I can collect pieces that I want to buy, projects to DIY and similar rooms that inspire me. It really helps me to keep my ideas in check so I’m not getting distracted and changing my mind a lot. Sometimes I just get too many ideas and can’t narrow it down. So having a secret pin board really helps me with that. Here’s some of the things I’ve pinned that are inspiring our design:
What do you think? What would you like most in an office space? I’m really excited about the direction we’re going and can’t wait to see it done!